Search

HIV Denialism: Like Pissing in Your Pants

Denialism = Death.Image by bse303 via Flickr

Thanks to the blogger at Denying Aids who used trackback in my previous and drew attention to his blog. I can not resist linking back to the quote which appears on his site.
“What mattered to me as person living with HIV was to be told that HIV did not cause AIDS. That was nice. Of course, it was like printing money when the economy is not doing well. Or pissing in your pants when the weather is too cold. Comforting for a while but disastrous in the long run.” Winstone Zulu, Zambian AIDS Activist and former denialist
This sums up 200% my personal experience and attitude. I was diagnosed in 2006. Utterly shocked, the day after I was given my diagnosis/sentence (the staff were horrible to deal with) I scoured the internet looking for answers: how bad will I get and how quickly? how many years had I left? (The answer was ten years but it's been 13 already without a hint of a problem).

Then I stumbled upon Duesberg who planted the seed of doubt in my mind. HIV does not cause AIDS, other factors may cause AIDS. While among all the crap there are still bits of information that are useful to have learnt from this (I have not been anywhere near poppers in all those years!), I have no doubt that HIV kills EVEN if you don't want to call the resulting condition AIDS.

Proof that HIV KILLS even if you don't call that AIDS?
Christine Maggiore: AIDS Denialist dies of... wait for it... AIDS

Nevertheless. Duesberg at the time gave me hope and that day I decided that there was an alternative to jumping under a train and that I could live a life combatting the virus and the perception people have of the virus.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Recent Posts

Please come back soon...